Quality Score is determined through many factors but one of the important factor is click through rate. Google always lays emphasis on click through rate for quality score. We should first know the fundamentals related to click through rate and quality score before getting into details.
Click through rate tells about the number of audience an advertisement has been able to attract. In other words, it can be said that the ratio of users who click on a link to the number of users who are viewing the page.
Click through rate is completely dependent upon users. As more people start clicking on a particular advertisement, the relevance of that keyword gets higher and Google rewards them with a high quality score. The impact of click through rate depends upon the position of an advertisement. Quality score is important for various reasons. It determines whether an advertisement will show up or not when a user puts up the query on Google.
Click through rate represents the major part of quality score. It takes into account the match type of key phrase and geo targeting. This means if click through rate goes up then the quality score gets better for sure.
Causes of low click through rate occurs due to various reasons:
• Irrelevant ads: Ad group should contain the exact keyword with a bit of variation. Using anything else will make the advertisement irrelevant.
• Poor landing pages: The relevance of landing page is always checked by Google. If deemed irrelevant then quality score will be lower.
• Ads not being tested: Testing ads regularly helps in boosting the click through rate. CTR becomes lower if testing is not done.
Click through rate can be improved in various ways:
• Site links addition: Site links are extensions where you can put additional extensions and show other benefits. It also helps in navigating the site straight from the ad copies.
• Negative keywords addition: Negative keywords helps in excluding ad copy to reappear on the search result with inappropriate search terms.
• Usage of ad extension: Ad extension helps in showing the ad in a unique way. It enhances the chances of getting more clicks on it.
• Using snippets: Snippets are words that are descriptions just below the SERP titles. A well written snippet helps in gathering more audience on a particular page.
• Reviewing competitor’s ad: Reviewing the competitors helps in knowing about the keyword they have been using and how the campaign has been working for them.
• Creating multiple campaigns: By creating multiple campaigns, there is better control over keyword. This also helps in higher click through rates for campaigns which are individual.
• Usage of call extensions: To increase the credibility, the addition of phone number makes it easier for people to trust the website.
• Usage of location extensions: The mention of location helps in increasing the credibility when it comes to local ad campaigns.
• Usage of social extensions: Social media is now a necessary thing to add as majority of people use it. It helps in better connect with the users.
• Location targeting: The target of ads should be according to geographical locations it is meant for. This increases the click through rate.
• Pausing keywords: The keyword which are having low click through rates should be paused. This helps in improving the click through rate.
• Usage of call to action: Words like Buy here, View product should be used. This attracts more people which increases the click through rate eventually.
• Adding unique offers in the head line: The headline is the main thing a searcher looks after. Displaying the description in the headline helps in increasing the click through rate.
Ways to determine quality score:
Through custom columns:
• Click on the campaign tab and select keywords.
• Click columns from the drop down menu.
• Select Modify Columns and then select quality score
Using the keyword diagnostic tool:• Click on the campaign tab. • Select Keywords. • Click white speech bubbles next to the keyword to get details about quality score.
Quality score can be increased in many ways:
• Research on keywords: Doing proper research on keyword and using proper keywords helps in increasing the quality score.
• Landing page optimization : It helps to connect directly to ad groups and gives a better experience to the visitors.
Higher Quality Score has many benefits. Some of them are mentioned below:
• Higher ranking: If the quality score is higher, chances of it being deemed appropriate by Google becomes more and is shown at the top positions of search results.
• Reduced spending: Keywords with a high quality score will not have to pay much as compared to advertisers with lower quality score for each click.
• Increase in traffic: More clicks leads to more people viewing the ad. Google also helps by showing the ads till the budget is reached.
In order to have a good quality score and better click through rate, getting ad texts together with better keywords is required. We can conclude that the click through rate plays a major role in deciding the quality score.